Office of Religious Education
© Copyright 2015 - Our Lady of Mercy Parish, Chicago, Illinois
All our Catechists are volunteers. We thank them for their donated time.
-Session 4 from 5:30p.m. – 7:00p.m. taught bilingually from grades 9th -12th
-Session 1 from 9:00am – 10:30a.m. taught Bilingually from grades 1st -8th
-Session 2 from 11:00a.m. -12:30p.m. taught in Spanish from grades 1st -8th
-Session 3 from 1:30p.m. – 3:00p.m. taught in Spanish from grades 1st -8th
On Sunday’s (RCIC)
-Sunday’s from 10:30a.m.-12:00p.m.
Before you begin your ministry of catechesis, we ask you to comply with the Archdiocese of Chicago’s requirements. It is necessary to complete these before you can be a catechist. I am confident that you will appreciate the training because it helps all of us to be ever vigilant in providing the safest environment for our children.
You will also be provided with an explanation of the mission of the Catholic Church to protect the dignity of children by providing a safe environment. The bishops of the United States have made a commitment that all those who minister in the Church to minor children will be adequately screened and trained.
Mrs. Marjorie Maridueña, our Coordinator of Religious Education, will assist you in completing the requirements you find listed. Thank you for your willingness to share your faith with our children and be part of the Catholic Church’s effort to protect our precious children.
- Attend a “Protecting God’s Children”
Our Lady of Mercy will have the Virtus training in the parish.
Please register online or fill out a form prior to the training.
- Complete Virtus Continuing Education Bulletins
- Complete A Background Check. The background check can be completed online. Paper application forms are available in English, Spanish and Polish. Volunteers complete a volunteer application. No one can begin to work or volunteer unless they have completed a background check and the background check has been approved.
- Code of Conduct: read and sign the Acknowledgement Form.
- Complete the CANTS Form. This is the State of Illinois Child Abuse and Neglect form. This is a one page form that needs to be completed by all clergy and employees, and all volunteers who work with minors.
- Mandated Reporter Training: Complete the Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse: Training for Mandated Reporters ONLINE. You need to be prepared for the following:
-- To spend at least 60 minutes to complete the training (you cannot exit and return)
-- The computer used for the training must be connected to a printer that will print the certificate at the completion of the training (you cannot exit and return). (ONLY computer-generated certificates will be accepted.)
-- The computer used for the training must be equipped with speakers or headsets to allow you to hear the audio.
The direct link for the Mandated Reporter Training is:
(Please note, this is a secure site, which requires an “s” after http.)